Sunday, 5 August 2012
University Life - The Pros and Cons
If you follow me on Instagram or Twitter you will probably know that I graduated recently, so before I get back into the swing of all my beauty related posts (trust me I have a pretty big backlog!).
Graduation was full of mixed feelings really, finishing university was a huge relief for me because to put it bluntly, it did my head in for reasons which I will elaborate on in a minute but then on the other hand I met some really nice people who I will never forget and hopefully won't lose touch with.
So I'll start on the Pros of going to University.
- You should hopefully widen your knowledge of a subject you love and come out with a degree
- You meet some lovely people
- You get student discount in lots of shops
- Even if you can't afford to go the government will help with fees
Umm yeah well that's about it really, I can tell you now that for me, the 'cons' far outweighed the 'pros'
- Your degree definitely does not guarantee you a job
- It can be very cliquey
- It is very hard work and if you are not willing to push yourself it probably isn't for you
- It costs A LOT and even more so when the fees go up
- You cannot afford (in money or time) to party all the time in the second and third year, it is NOT a three year party unless you want to come out with a rubbish classification (unless you are a superhuman genius who can bash out an A grade essay in 8 hours)
- Be prepared for it to be a massive shock to the system, I honestly thought it was going to be the making of me; moving to Leeds and starting a new chapter of my life, living the boho city lifestyle.... When in reality I didn't fit in with my flatmates, it cost an absolute fortune and I ended up back at home permanently after Christmas, and I still had to pay full rent as the Ts & Cs stated that unless you personally found a new occupant, you had to pay the rent whether you were there or not.
- Driving to and from Leeds was such a pain, especially when some days I only had an hour or 2 of teaching so make sure that if you don't want to live near your university that you don't go somewhere too far from home!
Have you been to University? If so, what did you think?
Are you planning to go to University in September?
© Girl Up North. All rights reserved.